Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spring - Is Almost Here

.


When we moved into our home (on my 31st birthday) 17 years ago we were so excited! My husband worked in San Francisco and we decided to move about 60 miles north of The City to look for a house at a better price. The home we found had been completely refurbished inside - new carpets, linoleum, paint, fixtures, etc. but still had all the original charm - lift windows and a beautiful 1951 Wedgewood stove (that still cooks like a dream). It was perfect for us. One surprise though came about 2 weeks after we moved in. A large tree right outside our bedroom window began to bloom. This rather ordinary looking tree was all at once transformed by these amazing pale pink flowers in such abundance that when the wind blew tiny petals wafted down like a flurry of snowflakes. One look at that beautiful tree each year and we know... spring is almost here.
.
(Above photo on the left copyrighted to Sabina DeShazo & barefoot in the orchard - photo on the right is courtesy of Jupiter Images)

9 comments:

love.boxes said...

Is that a snowdrop crab.. I just planted one of those.. I think! :) Last summer anyway. :)

SeaWorthy said...

Sabina,
We have an ornamental cherry that does the same thing! I love the pink snow! Very special, and so wonderful to take photos by, makes the skin look so gorgeous!

Perfect, for us, living on Cherry Street, and all.
i love your blog, sister..
Lisa
coastal nest

Sabina said...

Hi Tiffany,

I'm not exactly sure what it is - some type of crabtree.

Hope you had a good Easter. :)

Unknown said...

this is a very pretty post, love it :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ahhh the joy of coming spring in California. I remember it well.

We are still in the ending of winter - though no more snow should come our way - and the pussy willows are out - so spring is on the way!

designchic said...

So gorgeous...can't wait for Spring!!

Honeygo Beasley said...

Your tree is in bloom - ours is not. We have the same trees here in Bensalem, PA where we live - and oh, Sabina, I just love the pink petal snowflakes...whenever I see that, I know spring is truly here.

Enjoy your spring and your blossoms!

meg said...

Sabina Dear :)
I loved the story of you moving into your house on your birthday and the discovery of your special tree! I could read wonderful little stories like that all day. Especially about the people I love :) And your photo is just beautiful! Happy almost-spring my dear friend :)

xoxoxo

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Lovely lovely - I can see it now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...