Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cava - The Spanish Champagne and Spain On The Road Again

_
__
_
There is one thing I can never pass up -- a glass of champagne. While watching a wonderful new show called Spain On The Road Again (on PBS) I re-discovered this wonderful champagne or rather sparkling wine -- Cava.
_
_
Like champagne, cava comes in different degrees of sweetness. The following are the categories according to sugar content, although the characteristics of different wines may mean one manufacturer's seco tastes as sweet as another's semi-seco:
_
_

_
Brut Nature - (no added sugar) up to 3 g per litre
Extra Brut - up to 6 g per litre
Brut - up to 15 g per litre
Extra seco - between 12 and 20 g per litre
Seco - between 17 and 35 g per litre
Semi-seco - between 33 and 50 g per litre
Dulce - more than 50 g per litre
_
Cava does not improve with being kept, indeed it deteriorates with age: buy it, store upright in a cool, not cold, place, for as little time as possible, and drink it, preferably in the same week. Remember that the sweeter the cava, the cooler it needs to be served: a brut nature can be served practically at room temperature, but a semi-seco should be well chilled.
_
One of the best-known makes is Freixenet. My husband helped with their add campaign last year, so we received a couple of bottles free. We all loved it, and thought the flavor was amazing, but in the hustle, and bustle of the holiday season -- I had forgotten about it. Watching the show the other night I was reminded, and so... if we aren't lucky enough to come by it the same way as we did last year -- it will still definitely be on our Thanksgiving table!!
_
¡Salud!
_

_
About the show
_
The series, Spain…On The Road Again is a lighthearted food, wine, and scenery intensive show that brings you the best Spain has to offer in all three categories. And when you’ve got hosts such as famed actress Gwyneth Paltrow; the Iron Chef, Mario Batali; Spanish actress and linguist Claudia Bassols; and New York Times writer Mark Bittman, combined with the sometimes breathtaking beauty, the wonderful food and the robust wines of Spain (not to mention the famed Spanish sun), you’ve got a can’t-miss show that bathes you in gustatory opulence.
_
Review Courtesy of Bloggers Critics Magazine.

7 comments:

Linda Lou said...

I love that show, saw the one about Cava, interesting way of showing you the cuisine of Spain. My daughter spent last sememster in Spain, and I went to visit her for 5 days in March. Amazing country....give me champagne any day!

Sabina said...

I got a late start to this show, but really have enjoyed it. I would love to spend some time cruising around Spain with friends.

Honeygo Beasley said...

Been to Spain, once. Love Freixenet! Been a while since I've had a glass of it, but thanks for reminding me that I'm due!

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Sabina, a great post and really useful information for me (pity we cant get the show on tv here, perhaps I can find it on line) as my daughter is getting married in Rivesaltes (thirty minutes from Spanish border) in France next May. We were only discussing the Champagne reception yesterday. Thank you. hugs Margie.

Unknown said...

Sounds good..but sadly we dont take liquor here :D

amber {daisy chain} said...

This looks fantastic, this is the first I've heard of it - thanks for the tip!

Sabina said...

Hi Amber,

Thanks for stopping by!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...