Monday, March 31, 2008

Women's History Month


_
The true woman will not be exponent of another, or allow another to be such for her. She will be her own individual self... Stand or fall by her own individual wisdom and strength... She will proclaim the "glad tidings of good news" to all women, that woman equally with man was made for her own individual happiness, to develop... every talent given to her by God, in the great work of life.
_
Susan B. Anthony ~
__
I could not let March go by without mentioning something about "Women's History" - which is one of my absolute favorite subjects as all of the people in my house - painfully at times - know!! So I am just getting it in under the wire - today being March 31st!!
_
Each March I take the opportunity to listen to what my group of 4th and 5th grade Girl Scouts know on the subject of "Women's History" and each year I seem to get the same reactions. I mention that there was a time when women could not own property, go to college, or vote. One of the biggest reactions comes when I say that women were - in fact - the property of their husbands and did not have the right to divorce or leave them even if they were treated cruelly and if they did dare to leave -they left with only the clothes on their backs - just like runaway slaves. At this point I usually get a gasp or two and even the occasional look of utter disbelief. I then try to reinforce the fact that they - stand on the shoulders of those women - and are lifted up to a better life as a result. That they should never take their freedoms for granted and that they might like to read about a women of their choice as inspiration. My hope is to inform and embolden them to go out and make this world a better place for everyone with their own unique gifts. I see a sparkle in their eyes as I say these things and I hope that in that moment they really feel all of their potential -- as they remind me of my own.
_
_
( My Daughter With Her Junior Girl Scout Troop)
_
One of my personal favorite stories is of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. Ken Burns made a wonderful documentary called "Not For Ourselves Alone" - that is so well done and well worth watching!!
_
_

3 comments:

love.boxes said...

Good for you! What an excellent topic for a troup of girl scouts (what a cute group too!). And, how lucky for them to have such a role model as yourself.

Sabina said...

Thanks Tiffany.

Unknown said...

tks for this post, enjoyed reading it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...