Thursday, December 11, 2008

Recipe and Photos From Spain...On The Road Again

_

_
I recieved an email the other day from Zoe whose agency bigMETHOD represents the program Spain... On the Road Again . She included a recipe (which I will make and report back about at a later date) and the above photo. While watching the show this week -- I wished I could climb right through the screen to taste some of the fabulous food they were enjoying! Who wouldn't want to go on a delicious, food-drenched journey through Spain, taking in all the country's regional cuisine, art, history, and culture along the way. Below is a recipe I've already tested, and loved -- from Episode 2.
_

_
CALDO GALLEGO (EPISODE 2)
_
This is the traditional, restorative soup of Galicia. With a little bread, you‘ve got a great meal. Serves 4 to 6
_
1/2 pound thickly sliced pancetta or slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 cup dried white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 pound Spanish chorizo, casings removed and sliced 1/4 inch thick (see note at bottom)
1 pound turnip greens (or other dark leafy green), stemmed and coarsely chopped
_
Cook the pancetta in a large heavy pot over medium heat until most of the fat is rendered, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the beans, add them to the pot, along with enough water to cover them by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Skim off the foam, then lower the heat and simmer gently, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the beans are beginning to soften.Add the onion, potatoes, and turnips and cook for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened. Add the chorizo and greens and cook for 10 minutes, or until the greens are tender.
_
Note: Here in the USA, many people are familiar with the Mexican or Caribbean chorizo, both of which are very different from the Spanish chorizo in both taste, texture and appearance. Mexican or Caribbean varieties cannot be used as substitutes for Spanish chorizo in Spanish recipes. If you need a substitute, try using Portuguese Linguica sausage, which is generally very similar to Spanish chorizo.
_
Online source for Chorizo - HOTPAELLA
_

8 comments:

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

this sounds really good! we have an amazing butcher/sausage shop right down the street from us, i'll have to see if they have it :)

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Hi Sabina, I looked at some episode of Spain-On the Road Again on line...such a novel idea, and the food...omg...also I must say I am impressed by your chorizo knowledge, I am not a meat eater, so I did not think about the differences, but of course there are. hugs Margie.

Liz Harrell said...

Oh to travel the globe. Or the states. I'm not picky. :)

This looks marvelous.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm....looks good. I love any kind of peasant food...especially if it has white beans. And I will have your cranberry bread with crystalized ginger for dessert please. What time is dinner?
♥Rosemary

Sabina said...

I would love to have you over for dinner Rosemary -- I think we would have lots to talk about!

Unknown said...

Yes..I know the feeling and dont I just wish I could jump into any of those episodes of travel.

Suzanne said...

Sabina, would you believe that out here in rural Illinois we have a fabulous butcher who makes all kinds of award winning sausage including Portuguese Linguica. We're going to try it for the first time on Christmas Eve. Thanks for the great post.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your info on the soup of the day. Caldo Gallego, my ancestors are from Galicia and my maiden name is Gallego I have an old spanish cookbook that belonged to my dad, and the soup is in it but not the info on the sausage.Please visit my blog theredchairstudio.typepad.com new to blogging. thanks brook

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...