Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Favorite Yoga Pose

Each morning I have a small yoga routine (just a few poses) I do right after I wake up. Nothing too involved it's just a great way to start the day and stretch a bit. This is my favorite pose is Viparita Karani. Afterwards, I do a small silent meditation. It makes me feel awake, centered and ready for the day.
_
Restorative Yoga focuses on relaxing the body in restful postures. Note that 'rest' is different than sleep. Rest provides the body an opportunity to renew and heal. Countless studies have proven the physical and emotional benefits of this.
_

(Photo courtesy of Ann Pizer)
_
Legs Up the Wall - Viparita Karani
_
Benefits: This is a restorative pose and achieves many of the benefits of inversions in a supported, gentle pose.
_
Instructions: _
_
1. Come to sit next to a wall with the side of your body on the wall and your knees bent into the chest.
_
2. Bring the lower back onto the floor while bringing the legs up the wall. Keep the upper body supported with the elbows on the floor.
_
3. Slowly release the elbows and lower the whole back down to the floor.
_
4. Stay here several minutes if you are comfortable.
_
5. To come out, bring the knees into your chest and roll to your side.
_
You may wish to support the low back with a bolster or several folded blankets placed right at the wall and parallel to the wall. This also increases the angle of inversion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will try this. Thanks.

Margaret (a usually silent fan of your lovely blog)

Stacey said...

I tried to do a handstand today...

love.boxes said...

Interesting. I've always wanted to try yoga, but I don't want to go to a class.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...