Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Catching Up On Movies

_
_
_
I finally had the chance to catch up on a few current films last week courtesy of Pay-Per-View.
_

_
_
What an amazing film. I was a teenager living in the Bay Area just a few miles from San Francisco when all of this of this history was going on. I well remember when Diane Feinstein - then President of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - gave the shocking news that Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk (the first openly gay man elected to office) were shot and killed inside City Hall. Sean Penn does the most wonderful job portraying Milk. He definitely deserved the Oscar. His acceptance speech was the highlight of the evening for me -- "You Commie Homo-Loving Sons of Guns". I've appreciated Sean Penn going all the way back to Taps and Racing With the Moon.
_

_
_
My kids were dying to see this and I must say all the adults in our house loved it too! One of a kind characters - played by very funny actors (Ben Stiller, Sacha Baron Cohen, Bernie Mac, Jada Pinkett Smith, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Alec Baldwin, etc.) - non stop humor with lots of little inside jokes and those commando penguins definitely steal the show. Better than the original - in my opinion.
_
_
_
OK, I finally get what all the fuss is about. I myself love vampire movies - I've seen um all - but this one is different somehow, and you can very easily get drawn in. My 11 year old daughter has watched it two times already, and I have to admit I watched it with her. Although I must add that we skipped through some of the moderately violent scenes that aren't really appropriate for her age. I can also see why girls/women might be drawn to this movie - a gorgeous (where did they find this guy), mysterious, intelligent, protective, obsessed vampire guy (Edward Cullen) who finds his true love, and can barely control himself from drinking her (Bella Swan's) blood. Got it! This series of books - four in all - leaving three more films left to make and release - New Moon - Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
_

8 comments:

Honeygo Beasley said...

All good picks - my mom who is a "senior" actually wants to see Twilight! : )

Bridgette said...

"Milk" was fantastic!!!! Sean Penn was a great choice for the Oscar!

MFAMB said...

i am reading twilight right now and can't wait to see it!! the anticipation is killing me! i just wish i had more time to finish the book. and i took my 4 year old to see madagascar 2 and was really bummed when her attention span caused us to have to leave halfway thru! it was really funny!! oddly enough she sat thru coraline...?!?!
as for the movie catching up, as a mother of a 4 year old i can relate to the whole concept of catching up. she is off to the beach this weekend with her grandparents so we (husband and myself) will have lots of opportunity to do just that! i can't wait.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Thanks for the movie reviews! I have only seen Twilight out of the bunch. I read all of the books and really like the movie.

I heard Milk is really good. And I don't have much desire to see Madagascar, but I'm sure my kids would! I am sure I will be watching that one very soon!

XOXO
Jen

vickie said...

Couldn't agree more with you on the first 2 movie picks! Adore Sean Penn and the projects he chooses to be involved in...and thought Madagascar 2 was better than the first...haven't seen twilight

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

I was totally bitten by the "twilight" series... we haven't seen milk yet, but it's on the list!

Entertainment Blog said...

Twilight movie is great!

ambika said...

I was really impressed by Milk. Even knowing what happens, it's so compelling and well done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...