Thursday, January 28, 2010

Conscious Food Decisions

.

.
We all need to start paying attention to what we put in our bodies and need to make more conscious food decisions.
.
The clip below is from the film Food Inc. - I recommend that everyone view this documentary and make your own decision based on the facts presented. You can rent this film or go to Amazon.com and purchase a copy for just $9.99. I'm sure you can also see it on YouTube.
.
Fact
.
Americans take 3 million pounds of antibiotics every year.
.
28 million pounds are given to livestock.
.
Food, Inc. is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Kenner. The film examines large-scale agricultural food production in the United States, concluding that the meat and vegetables produced by this type of economic enterprise have many hidden costs and are unhealthy and environmentally-harmful. The film is narrated by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser, two long-time critics of the industrial production of food.
.

6 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Sabina, I couldn't believe that antibiotic number when I saw it on Oprah yesterday. I shall reserve this DVD from the library. I wish there were an alternative to eating. I'd certainly consider it. Maybe I'll have a vegetable garden this summer. xxoo, Rosemary

Emily said...

Really good documentary - if a little hard to watch.

Equally awesome, and more inspiring, is the adaptation of The Botany of Desire that PBS did of Michael Pollan's book of the same name.

Husband and I watched both and both times were very glad for our CSA.

meg said...

I love how you're always in the know! I'm going to rent the entire DVD, and the PBS one that Emily suggested above sounds interesting also. So strange how our nation has become so out of control in so many areas of importance..... very disconcerting.....

I need your Friday photos now! :)

sasha said...

Just ordered both from Netflix! Love you, Sasha

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

The hubby and I just watched this, and it's an eye-opener! I thought we were conscious, but we will be extra careful now...

alissa said...

im a vegetarian - and the whole antibiotic thing was a huge reason i made that decision! completely freaked me out that every chicken breast i ate contained WAY more than chicken.
feeling healthy - a decision ill never go back on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...