Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday's Paintings

_

#1_


#2

__

#3_
_

#4_
_

#5_
_

#6_
_
John Singer Sargent
_
Born in Florence, Italy, in 1856 to American parents. John Singer Sargent spent his youth in the cosmopolitan societies of Rome, Vienna, Geneva, London, and Madrid. He received little formal education, but his artistic talent was recognized and encouraged from an early age. When he was eighteen his family moved to Paris so that Sargent could enroll in the studio of the fashionable portrait painter Carolus-Duran. Determined to be more than a portrait painter and eager to show his versatility, Sargent also worked on ambitious compositions based on his travels, during which he sought not only subject matter but also different light and atmosphere.
_
El Jaleo (#1) one of my absolute favorite paintings by John Singer Sargent. I would love to visit the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, Mass. -- not far from where I was born -- and see it in person someday. Then stop at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and view The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit (#2), and Oyster Gatherers of Cancale (#3). I would also go to see Fumée d'ambre gris (another favorite #4) at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts. Before heading back west perhaps I would stop at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. so as not to miss the beautiful painting Nonchaloir (#5). For now though I will visit the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco ( just an hour away) and enjoy the wonderful painting A Dinner Table at Night (#6).
_
Happy Friday!!
_

9 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

I adore John Singer Sargent. Can you imagine owning an original? Thanks for downloading my book, I so appreciate it. Have a great weekend.

pve design said...

Each time we visit the Met, I must visit Madame X. She is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful Sargent painting features two young girls lighting Chinese lanterns. It's lovely. It's called "Carnation Lily, Lily Rose".
Wish there was room to post it here in your Comment Box.

Sabina said...

Liz, I can't wait to read your book.

Patricia, you are so very lucky to have seen Madame X in person!! Maybe someday...

Northen Ca. I too love Carnation Lily, Lily Rose. The luminous light from the lanterns on those little faces is just beautiful.

Have a great weekend!!

Suzanne said...

Oh my!!! My favorite artist. I can't think of a Sargent that I do not love. I have his portrait of Lady Helen Vincent hanging in my living room.

Although he is known for his portraits of the wealthy, his paintings of seaside subjects are terrific also.

You can never fully appreciate a painting unless you see it in person. There is not a printing process that can capture the depth of a painting. This was driven home to me when I saw a small painting by Van Gogh hanging in the Art Institute in Chicago. I was stunned. It literally took my breath away. It was total perfection with not a single wasted brush stroke.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Sabina said...

Hi Suzanne,

I nearly mentioned this very thing in my post. "Art" can be so powerful,even in print,but in person it can knock you off your feet.

Anonymous said...

I love him too! I remember seeing his work at the Gardner and MFA

Sabina said...

Julia, I am soooo very envious. You are a lucky girl!!

Anonymous said...

It is so good to see these again, i love his work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...