Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday's Photos - Diane Keaton's Spanish Colonial Revival

_
____November 2008 Issue
_
Actress Diane Keaton is a trustee of the National Trust for Historic Preservation - who knew.
_
She was quoted as recently saying, "We’ve treated old buildings like we once treated plastic shopping bags — we haven’t reused them, and when we’ve finished with them, we’ve tossed them out. This has to stop. Preservation must stand alongside conservation as an equal force in the sustainability game. More older and historic buildings have to be protected from demolition, not only because it affects our pocketbooks but more important because it threatens our environment. Let’s face it, our free ride at the expense of the planet is over."
_
Diane apparently has a passion for restoration. This Spanish Colonial Revival in Beverly Hills she actually bought at the beginning of the decade, but backed out during escrow and let another buyer take it. “It needed a lot of work,” she explained, “and I got cold feet.” When it went up for sale again two years ago, she bought it a second time—this time for keeps.
_
The house was designed in the 1920s by California architect Ralph Flewelling.
__
_____Beverly Hills, California
_

_
_
_
Architecture by Ralph Flewelling/Architectural and Interior Design by Stephen Shadley Text by Gerald Clarke/Photography by Scott Frances Portraits by Peggy Sirota
_
Happy Friday!!
__

12 comments:

AnnaVallance said...

Love Diane Keaton and what she stands for.The AD story is very inspiring. Thank you.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

wow! I love that hallway :)
Have a great weekend!

Suzanne said...

I saw this article and was taken aback. She's done alot of work and the space is wonderful but it just doesn't seem to fit with Diane. I never, ever in a thousand years would have guessed this was her space. Why? Because she's a very quirky personality and the spaces seem very static and "unquirky", regardless of the large number 3.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Sabina said...

Hi Suzanne,

I too was a bit taken aback, but after further research I found out a lot of things that sursprised me about Ms. Diane Keaton -- all of which were remarkable, and very unlike her film persona. I always seem to find that people are much more complex and interesting than we ever know.

Content in a Cottage said...

I have always loved her...now even more! Wonderful upsidedown lampshades on the kitchen light fixtures. Thanks for finding this article. Think I will go to the library and read the whole magazine! ♥Rosemary

Honeygo Beasley said...

I like her. The place looks like a church. Very austere.
But hey, to each his or her own.
Lady's got her own style in clothing and home.

Anonymous said...

I think her chief objective was historic preservation and the result is exceptional. Now, was I to buy this place (dreamer me) I add a couple non period pieces or two to spices things up.

Janet Hill said...

Fantastic house! I love it when people are brave enough to invest time and money into preserving old homes. The older the better I think.

Sabina said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone -- have a great weekend!!

Unknown said...

wow...what a home!!! happy weekend :D

Linda Lou said...

One of my favorite actresses ever, her home is amazing, she is so interesting and zany, thanks for sharing her beautiful "old" home with us,

Fifi Flowers said...

GREAT old house... love of homes... I live in one!
Thanks for sharing... ENJOY your weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...