Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Omnivore’s Hundred

_
_
_
The blog Very Good Taste has come up with a list of 100 items that every omnivore should try in his or her life. Basically, you copy the list from Very Good Taste's The Omnivore's 100 and post it to your blog, bolding the items you've tried and striking through any you would never try.
_
Here is mine. I've tried 44 out of 100. I don't think (never say never) I would object to trying most everything on this list once - under the right circumstances - even though I'd had no idea what some of these things were until I hit the link.
_
1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
12. Pho
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
22. Fresh wild berries
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
28. Oysters
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips
63. Kaolin
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
86. Hare
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
100. Snake

8 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Mole pablano sounds like a song title. I'll have to google that one. :)

Glenda said...

I have taste 47 of these. Interesting.

Ciao

pve design said...

Wonderful list. Thanks for tempting as well as encouraging me to try new discoveries.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great list and a fun thing to do! There are some on there I have never heard of and many that I want to try but haven't had a chance to yet..

Have a great day!

Jen

annechovie said...

Ok, this is a great idea! I thought I was no piker when it came to food experiences, but apparently I am quite provincial by comparison to this list - not sure that I could handle some of these. Thanks for your comment! ;>)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Only have tasted 18 of these, one of them being Krispy Kreme doughnut and I could taste those over and over. Maybe in place of roadkill, oxtail and horse? You seriously need to try Dulce de Leche! You can make your own if you like, just cook a can of sweetened condensed milk on very low heat for about 3 or 4 hours. Heavenly over vanilla ice cream!

Linda Lou said...

My list is similar to yours, I know there are a few things I would never try, but who wouldn't want to try a Krispy Creme donut on one end, or caviar to the other extreme...I love watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman, opening us up to so many foods all over the world that other people dare to eat!

Unknown said...

So very cool. Awesome post! I always claim there is nothing I wouldn't try in terms of food, this list would certainly for that to the test.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...