Wednesday, November 7, 2007

New Scandinavian Cooking



PBS has a show called "New Scandinavian Cooking" (check your local PBS listing). There have been various hosts through the years but my favorite is returning and current chef Andreas Viestad. He was recently on Martha Stewart show promoting his cookbook. Where Flavor Was Born: Recipes and Culinary Travels Along the Indian Ocean Spice Route. This is on my list of things I would like from Santa this year (wink, wink, my wonderful husband). The show it is like taking a trip to Norway - getting a brief history lesson - learning to cook something in a completely new and fresh way - all in less than 30 minutes. It is also beautifully filmed! The food is not made in studio but outdoors, on a portable kitchen that is set up on location. You just have to see it to appreciate this aspect of the show.
_
I cooked up a really fun Midsummer's Eve menu from the show last June. We all dressed in costume - hung lights and candles - and danced under the stars. It was fun to eat food prepared in a way we had never experienced and inspired a really memorable meal.
_
I am going to prepare the menu from - Nuclear Family Food.

The cold Norwegian winter does not stop Andreas from scaling the Gaustad mountain, where skiing is believed to have been invented. In this chilly landscape, Andreas prepares a warm mushroom soup and lamb shanks with a Norwegian-style risotto.
_
I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is supposed to be a great show. A business associate told me about it two weeks ago; he and his wife enjoy watching the show. I will go and schedule the recording before I forgot.

Jen Kershner said...

Oh, how interesting! I will have to look for this show. I am of Norwegian and Swedish descent and find myself increasingly interested in them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...