Monday, August 25, 2008

One Guilty Pleasure

_

_

_

_

_
I have been tagged to reveal "One Guilty Pleasure" -- here it is. I love old sci-fi films. I've seen' em all -- The Time Machine, Them, The Fly, Creature From the Black Lagoon, The Day the Earth Stood Still, the list goes on and on. My favorite is Forbidden Planet (especially the letter-box version). The characters and setting were inspired by Shakespeare's The Tempest -- so maybe that lets me off the hook a bit. I have seen this movie -- maybe 20 times or more throughout my life.
_
Robbie the Robot - Krell technology - and invisible monsters from the Id -- I'm in!!
_
Definition of the "Id" in case you wondered (taken from Wikipedia).
_
The Id comprises the unorganized part of the personality structure that contains the basic drives. The Id is unconscious by definition. In Freud's formulation it is the dark, inaccessible part of our personality, what little we know of it we have learnt from our study of the dream-work and of the construction of neurotic symptoms, and most of this is of a negative character and can be described only as a contrast to the ego. We approach the id with analogies: we call it a chaos, a cauldron full of seething excitations ... It is filled with energy reaching it from the instincts, but it has no organization, produces no collective will, but only a striving to bring about the satisfaction of the instinctual needs subject to the observance of the pleasure principle.
_
[Freud, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis (1933)]
_
Pretty intense stuff. As a kid I was pretty fascinated by this concept - as it was presented in the film. The Oscar-nominated special effects, and groundbreaking use of an all-electronic music score still hold up some fifty-two years later -- I my opinion.
_
You are now tagged - admit at least one guilty pleasure!!
_

6 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

OMG... i am deeply involved in Dr. Who! The newer versions only. They filmed it in Cardiff when I lived there and my car was even used in one episode.

I watch it on BBC America every week and just bawl!!! I see places I know and remember and am sooooo homesick for the UK.

I NEVER EVER EVER thought I'd ever ever watch Sci-Fi!

Whew! There. I've confessed.

Sabina said...

You are too cute Meg!!

Anonymous said...

Oh great! thanks so much! I love your site too...you always find the most clean, beautiful photos! Thanks for being such an inspiration!

hope to see you around!

xoxo
sarah jane

--
Sarah Jane

www.sarahjanestudios.com/blog
www.sarahjanestudios.com/shop

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll admit I watch those tacky reality shows now and then when no ones looking. Well, more than a few. Alright, I love them!! It's terrible I know!!!! Ahhhhh!!! I need to get out more!!

Hugs,
M.P.

Suzanne said...

Oh Sabina, I love Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still also......Klatu, Barada, Nicto.

Thanks for the memory.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Sabina said...

Suzanne - you are too funny!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...