Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What's In Season - April + Gravy Pudding

_
_
_
Northern California
_
How do you feel about April 1st? The first day of this month turns my normally well mannered family into a bunch of kooky pranksters. Each year we pull a different April Fools Day prank on my husband, and each year he falls for it hook, line, and sinker. Many of these pranks are legendary stories in our house - like the time we put a fake snake in the backyard - which he tried to kill with a shovel. This year I think we have found the perfect one. My husband Mark always tells the story of how one evening, when he was about 17 years old, he came home late and hungry. He went to the refrigerator and spied some chocolate pudding on a back shelf. He was so happy and grabbed a spoon to dig in. What he got instead was a mouthful of GRAVY!! So this is what we all decided would be our April Fools joke '09. It took me awhile to find just the right dark gravy, but I finally did. So there it sits - just waiting for my unsuspecting chocolate obsessed guy to find. Of course I have some real chocolate pudding on hand to give him immediately afterward. This should be interesting. April Fools!!
_
P.S. Mark did fall for this joke - he took one bite... made a funny face, and then began to get this painful, yet amused smile. I quickly showed him where the "real" pudding was -- to which he exclaimed, "Just for that, I'm taking two!!"
_

_
Vegetables
_
•artichokes
•arugula
•asian greens
•asparagus
•avocados
•beans
•beets
•bok choy
•broccoli
•cabbage
•cardoons
•carrots
•cauliflower
•celery
•chard
•collards
•dandelion/chicory
•endive
•fava beans
•fennel
•garlic
•herbs
•horseradish
•kale
•kohlrabi
•leeks
•lettuces
•mushrooms
•nettles
•onions
•parsnips
•peas
•potatoes
•radish
•rapini
•rhubarb
•rutabaga
•scallions
•spinach
•tomatoes
•turnips
_
_
Fruits and Nuts
_
•avocados
•cherimoyas
•cherries
•dried fruit
•grapefruit
•guavas
•kumquats
•lemons
•limes
•mandarins
•oranges
•persimmons
•pomelos
•rhubarb
•strawberries
•tangerines
•tomatoes
•walnuts
_

9 comments:

Linda Lou said...

How fun, hope your hubby falls for the April Fool prank!! We will be up in the Bay Area next week, looking forward to enjoying the city!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

fun!!!!!!!!!

Gail, northern California said...

Your April Fool's prank transported me back - ahem - 60+ years.
I had seven brothers. One of the older boys suddenly handed me his bottle of soda, saying, "Here. Want the rest of my Coke?"
Taken aback --they would never share a soda, with anyone, let alone their little sister -- cooties and all that, you know. Nevertheless, I fell for it. One swig, it took only seconds for me to realize it was VANILLA! Yuck.
They all thought that was hysterical.

Content in a Cottage said...

Did he find it yet? Hahaha! Good one! ♥Rosemary

Sabina said...

Not yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Megan said...

Sabina, this is so funny! I missed my chance this year to play this April Fools joke, but I’m filing it away for next year- that would be priceless to see my husband dig into the dark gravy!

Kim G. said...

Hi Sabina! The best April Fools joke I ever pulled off was typing up a fake eviction letter and having it "served" to a house full of friends while at college! They thought they had to move out! We had a great laugh and they had a hard time topping that one!! Love the picture of the gal at the top!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great idea! I am doing kind of a basic one: ice cream sundays (mashed potatoes and gravy in sundae glasses and brownie bites (meatloaf cooked in mini muffin tins)

I can't wait to hear what your husband's reaction is!

XOXO
Jen

annechovie said...

That's hilarious, Sabina! Thanks for participating in Food Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...