Thursday, September 13, 2007

Autumn


(Courtesy of Country Home)
As far as I'm concerned all the other seasons take a back seat to autumn. As the hot weather of summer lingers into the beginning of September I begin to go a bit insane. Where is autumn? I look for all the signs and then suddenly it appears. The cool night air returns and we are all scrabbling for our blankets. The wind picks up and the smell of the first fireplaces being lit loft through the air. I can hardly wait for the leaves to change color and begin to fall - rustling in the breeze - and of course pumpkins and Halloween are everywhere. This is also the time of year sends me into a cooking frenzy. Something I normally regard as a chore becomes my favorite thing to do. I begin to search for new recipes and preparing the old favorites. One being Pumpkin Pancakes - yum... As the kids begin to circle the kitchen like a hungry pack of wolves waiting for what comes next - I am filled with the feeling of possibility - and all is right with the world.
Favorite Pumpkin Pancakes
Whisk 1 and 1/4 cups of all purpose flour; 2 tablespoons sugar; 2 teaspoons baking powder; 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt; 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg; and a pinch of ground cloves. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup milk, 6 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 egg; fold mixture into dry ingredients. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat; pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side. Makes 8 to 10.
Of course I have to double this recipe for our family.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...