Friday, September 14, 2007

Understanding the Color Wheel, and Design

____________________________________________________ __ (Photo Courtesy of Jupiter Images)
OK, I know the basics about color and design and I try to follow them but websites like Benjamin Moore and Valspar/Lowes help so much. You can sit and experiment with new color combinations for hours. The possibilities seem endless. My favorite home design shows are Room Service and Design Inc. with host and designer Sarah Richardson. I've found a lot of inspiration watching her go from house to house and room to room transforming something ordinary into something beautiful. I know what style I like - classic with a cottage feel and a romantic touch. I know what colors I'm drawn to - whites and creams, pale blues and pale yellow/greens, and warm orange/yellows, but selecting a scheme and bringing it all together is the trick. I also live in a 1950's ranch style home so I have to work within the limits of that original design. I do believe that your home also should reflect the people who live there - so it's going to have a mix of eclectic but loved items collected or gifted through the years. I try to follow the 60, 30, 10, rule -60% of a dominant color, 30% of a secondary color, 10% of an accent color. Translated to a room setting, it typically means: 60% of the room's color is the walls, 30% of the room's color is the upholstery, 10% of the room's color is an accent piece or a floral arrangement. The dining room is the 1st project on my list and it is a tiny space that must seat lots of people. I've been collecting lots of ideas over the years but now it's time to get to work.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...